eircom Spider Awards 2011 - Winners Announced
- Ray Nolan named 2011 Internet Hero
- TheJournal.ie sweeps the board winning THREE awards including the eircom Grand Prix Award
- Rukkle.com crowned Ireland’s Big Mouth
The winners of the 2011 eircom Spider Awards were unveiled last night at a gala black-tie event in Dublin’s Convention Centre, hosted by well known comic and TV personality Dara O’Briain.
Ray Nolan was awarded the Internet Hero at the awards. Ray founded Web Reservations International (WRI) in 1999 when he identified an opportunity to introduce online bookings to the hostel industry, a sector which had previously been ignored by mainstream online travel companies. Today WRI provides online confirmed reservations to over 50,000 accommodation providers, directly and through more than 2,500 global affiliate partners.
A serial IT entrepreneur, Ray has been instrumental in the success of a number of companies in the Irish technology sector. He founded Raven Computing (subsequently Coretime Ltd) in 1989 to develop bespoke software solutions for the legal, and hospitality sectors, before subsequently developing a leading time and billing management system. He sold Coretime Ltd, to Sage in 2004.
WRI was sold in November 2009 to San Francisco-based private equity investor Hellman & Friedman for over $340 million. Ray was presented with the Ernst and Young Emerging Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2003 and the Irish Internet Association Net Visionary Award in 2006.
Ray is currently involved in a number of new start-ups, including Worky.com, a new hiring network which aims to transform the way employers recruit staff and the way people find jobs.
TheJournal.ie scooped three eircom Spider awards. The team won the eircom Grand Prix Awardas well as the Best News website award and Best Digital Editor award. TheJournal.ie has gone from strength to strength and has created a very strong profile for itself in the online news world. The judging panel was very impressed with The Journal’s overall news presentation and particularly the use of social media, images and video to generate discussion and user involvement in individual news stories.
Again this year members of the general public were given an opportunity to vote for their favourite in two of the award categories. The Big Mouth award which is presented to the most influential online voice was won by Rukkle.com. Rukkle.com is all about entertainment. Their aim isn’t to highlight every single entertainment news story on any given day, but to create a concise and easily digested roundup of what they think is the most interesting and humorous stuff from the large quantities of information available across the social web. On Rukkle.com, you can get your daily ‘distraction’ fix by checking out a selection of the biggest entertainment, social and viral news stories from around the world, while also having the choice of listening to a dedicated Top 40 music radio station, Rukkle.fm and watching the latest Rukkle videos via Rukkle.tv on YouTube.
The second Public Choice Award was awarded to the public’s favourite online community website. The winner this year was Runireland.com. RunIreland.com is a Galway owned, popular running and sports website. The website, which allows clubs, charities and individuals to promote and manage the online entry for sports events has become a huge success in athletics and triathlon circles.
Commenting on the awards, Stephen Beynon, Chairman of the judging panel and managing director, consumer and small business, eircom said “Congratulations to all of the winners – each and every one is truly deserving of their awards. It’s great to see such talent and innovation across so many sectors in Ireland”.
Awards were presented across 20 categories and the full list of winners on the night included:
- Financial Services Website - Bonkers.ie
- Travel, Tourism and Hospitality Website - Killarneyonamap.ie
- Charitable and Non Profit Organisation Website - National Gallery of Ireland
- Retail Excellence Website - The Corkscrew Wine Merchants
- eBusiness - Boardsdeals.ie
- Campaign - Velvet Can Music Grow on Trees
- News Website - TheJournal.ie
- Education Website - CourseHub.ie
- Sports Website - 1escape
- Entertainment Website - TV3 – 3player
- Listings Website - Prosperity
- Graduate Award - Liam Carey
- Web Design and Development Agency - Kooba
- Big Mouth Award (as voted by the public) - Rukkle.com
- Community Website (as voted by the public) - Runireland.com
- One to Watch Award - Pigsty.ie
- Digital Editor Award - TheJournal.ie
- Mobile App - National Irish Bank Smartphone Banking Application
- Internet Hero - Ray Nolan
- eircom Grand Prix- TheJournal.ie